incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: GPL'd dictionaries (was Re: ftp.services.openoffice.org?)
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2011 06:00:07 GMT

>>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/trunk/main/mythes/
>>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/trunk/main/hyphen/
>>>
>>> there are only patches and makefiles, no copyleft source.
>>> AOOo can keep Hunspell based linguistic components, there
>>> is no need to remove anything, it is already IP-clean.
>>
>> I know, I know.. but why download tarballs when you can use:
>>
>> --with-system-hunspell
>> --with-system-mythes
>>
>> (Which is also used by LibreOffice AFAICT)
>>
>>> The situation is almost the same as before.
>>>

>> The only issue is the Italian dictionary, which is GPL-only
>> and we can't include at all.
>>
>> Now let's be realistic: we don't develop dictionaries here
>> in AOOo (that I know of) and due to license issues our
>> repositories and source distributions can't carry them
>> anyway. Why not build all of them in apache-Extras or
>> wherever and link them there for users?
>>
>> As you say, things don't change too much at all.
>>

> Why not host at in the extensions repository?  It has a better
> end-user interface than Apache Extras has.  But Apache Extras is more
> stable.  I think we still have trouble waiting to happen, that we rely
> so much on an extensions website that is often down.

The templates and extensions are at OSUOSL. They are Drupal systems which are overtaxed and
Oracle never finished upgrades. OSUOSL sysadmin is friendly and the ASF has much infrastructure
there.

Experienced Drupal developers?

Regards,
Dave