incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GPL'd dictionaries (was Re: ftp.services.openoffice.org?)
Date Thu, 24 Nov 2011 21:43:36 GMT
I have already lost much time on this, but I will give
this a last attempt.

--- On Thu, 11/24/11, Rob Weir <rabastus@gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe some are making an unstated and unwarranted
> assumption that our
> source release will contain 100% of what is in SVN?
> That would
> explain much of the confusion I am hearing.

That is exactly *your* point of confusion here. One
of our mentors stated we cannot have infringing code
in SVN at the time we graduate. (You had this pretty
wrong with dmake which is GPL but it also applies to
MPL). I really think you should add links to the mail
archive in the Wiki, BTW.

I don't see why you want to carry code that will not
be in our code release but IP clearance is for
everything in SVN.

> > I'd be very careful before assuming being discussed
> here qualifies for that exception is being discussed
> here.  I'm with Pedro on the prudence side.)

Now there are two issues that have got mixed up in this
thread:

How we will support/use hunspell but likely also nss,
mozilla, rhino and saxon. Officially We can use the
binaries, and no one argues about that. I had doubts
about an optional script (configure) that will download
the sources, patches them and produces such binaries.
I saw this as a way to circumvent the restrictions on
copylefted code but I have since then agreed that this
can be something reasonable as long as this support is
optional (it is) and the code doesn't touch SVN (it
doesn't). On the long run I think there is also consensus
that we want replacements for these.

The other issue is what to do about dictionaries. You
have been implying we can carry MPL code and by extension
dictionaries in SVN and that is simply false.

AFAICT there are no more infringing MPL headers or code,
in SVN, are there? (I recall I removed nssrenam.h uglily
but I did it)

> These questions were already raised, discussed and resolved
> many weeks ago.

And these questions will continue to be raised, discussed,
and resolved many times until we graduate.

Part of what I did in my previous job was prevent errors
from happening and that is what I do here now, but I would
really prefer to spend more time on the code.

Pedro.