incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GPL'd dictionaries (was Re: ftp.services.openoffice.org?)
Date Thu, 24 Nov 2011 15:52:50 GMT

--- On Thu, 11/24/11, Andre Fischer <af@a-w-f.de> wrote:

> > I think we cannot ship MPL source code either (not
> > even download+patches). That includes rhino, saxon
> > and nss/mozilla.
>
> Hm, as far as I understand this we can not ship MPL code in
> the source release directly, but the downloading into
> ext-sources during bootstrap were OK if triggered by
> explicit user interaction, eg by passing a non-default
> option to configure.

OK, I already read Ariel's link and apparently this has
been approved by someone at legal.

As I had understood it the idea is that we shouldn't
be using patches as a workaround to do actual coding
on top of copyleft components, so I guess if the
components are not on by default that is OK. This
is still not the best solution, especially for the
nss code but we can live with it for now.

> > I think we should keep the non copyleft dictionaries
> > for reference. I think that leaves us with English,
> > Russian, Croatian and I have an old italian version
> > kindly donated by Gianluca to the MySpell
> > "pseudo-project" @Apache-Extras.
>
> I don't think that this is a good idea.  I think that
> it would be quite confusing to the user when not all
> dictionaries come from the same source.

Then we can move all the dictionaries to Apache-extras
and build the extensions there, but the copyleft
dictionaries have to leave the repository, just like
the copyleft icons.

> > You can go ahead and kill hunspell from the tree.
>
> Why?

OK ..that's solved for now but won't hunspell be
shipped with the dictionaries?.

Pedro.