incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Code] strategy for "child works spaces"
Date Sat, 19 Nov 2011 14:22:44 GMT
Hi Mathias;

--- On Sat, 11/19/11, Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Bauer@gmx.net> wrote:

> We have used them. At that time they where a PITA as
> updating them from the master or integrating them
> into it was very time consuming and required a lot
> of manual merging work. That worked much better
> with Mercurial, but that's not an option now, I know.

I see. Integrating branches on SVN is said to be painful
but to be honest there will always be many people that
prefer perforce, or git or even CVS (really!). There is
no such thing as a perfect tool.

>From my reading CWSs are actually branches, and the one
thing we really lost is EIS, but I think using SVN branches
directly can be very useful.

I think we could use a SVN branch as a buffer to integrate
CWSs one by one; that way we don't interrupt current work
and get to try the CWSs before the tree changes too much
to make merging difficult.

Creating branches is very easy and any committer can do it.
Is there a way to get CWSs as diffs?

cheers,

Pedro.