incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Time for the ASF to send an Open Letter?
Date Wed, 16 Nov 2011 20:26:22 GMT
Hi Martin;

--- On Wed, 11/16/11, Martin Hollmichel wrote:
> On 11/16/11 6:33 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:
> > On 16 November 2011 16:56, Martin Hollmichel
> > <martin.hollmichel@googlemail.com>
> wrote:

> > What kind of a "release" are you talking about. OOo
> > releases can only be made from the Apache Software
> > Foundation. Perhaps you are planning a downstream
> > release that conforms to our trademark policy.
> >
> > Please let us know your plans.
> we're offering to provide an interim release of
> OpenOffice.org 3.3.1 with a joint messaging of ASF and Team
> OpenOffice.org. This would fill the gap between the 3.3.0
> release from beginning of this year (with some known severe
> issues) and the first AOO release in the future. I'm
> convinced that this proceeding will help strengthen the
> trust in OpenOffice.org / AOO.

As much as we would like to do an interim release I am
afraid there are issues that won't make it possible:

- Apache releases have to be approved by the PPMC and
can only be released under an Apache License.
- The old OpenOffice.Org made available 3.4 RC, releasing
3.3.1 would not give the right signal wrt continuity.
- The ASF, through the PPMC, cannot approve code that it
hasn't seen and AFAICT Team OOo hasn't been very visible
here in the community (sorry if I just missed it).

This said, 3.4 is advancing very nicely. I don't want to
hurry things but I think we are moving in the right
direction.

Pedro.