incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Font related questions
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2011 14:33:16 GMT
Hi Andre;

--- On Mon, 11/14/11, Andre Fischer <af@a-w-f.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In the process of removing the liberation fonts (they are
> under GPL license, issue 118600) I stumbled upon some font
> related questions. Maybe someone on this list can provide
> answers.
>
> 1. The gentium basic fonts are under the SIL Open Font
> License.  This looks OK to me but I am not a
> lawyer.  Is this a category A, B or X license?

It is inspired on the GPL but it is conceived for fonts.
It think we could treat it as weak copyleft. I guess
we should ask legal but in any case it would be better
to just use the system fonts.

> 2. The license of the open symbol font is unclear, it only
> has a copyright notice (to Oracle).  Issue 89686
> complains about this.  There are comments about the
> intention of putting it under LGPL.  But the last
> comment of the issue is more than three years old and its
> status is STARTED.  Does anybody know more about this?

I asked for this to be included in the SGA, so it's likely
to be there.

> Additional information:

I was going to remove them but opengrok noticed they are
referred to here:

/scp2/source/ooo/file_font_ooo.scp
/officecfg/registry/data/org/openoffice/VCL.xcu

so my indelicate axe was not fit for the job ;).

(FWIW, I think hdu@ committed the liberation fonts
originally.)

thanks for looking at it,

Pedro.