incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Hunspell dictionaries are not just words lists (+ other matters)
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2011 22:24:54 GMT
Hi Olivier;

--- On Mon, 11/7/11, Olivier R. <olivier.noreply@gmail.com> wrote:

> I read that a legal issue would be raised about the GPL
> dictionaries. Then Rob was wondering how dictionaries could
> be copyrighted. I thought that if lawyers knew that
> copyrights on such matter were irrelevant, they would not
> forget to mention it. So that would concern every
> dictionaries, whatever rights authors may claim on their
> work, whatever license they chose. That was my assumption.

There were some doubts on the impact of having a dictionary
under the GPL and there was a line of reasoning mentioning
it's not really code so the effect is minimal.

If it's not code I was thinking a documentation license should
be used instead, but thinking at it better, the grammatical and
syntax rules make such dictionaries behave more like scripts
than as mere data so a code license is appropriate.

FWIW, I think Rob is talking about a completely different
concept: IBM uses a NLP tool so perhaps for them the simpler
structure of English is appropriately managed by an AI
software package and a dumb list of words.

Sorry on our side too for the confusion.

Cheers,

Pedro.