incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GPL'd dictionaries (was Re: ftp.services.openoffice.org?)
Date Sun, 06 Nov 2011 19:38:21 GMT
(I saw Andrea's reply already but I had this written out
before so I I will answer this first.)

Hi Gianluca,

Wow, I see there are deep philosophical issues. I, and
I think the ASF, believe that an online dictionary, even
if it involves commercial use and closing the source is
a great use of our software and it benefits the general
public.

Copyleft imposes restrictions on software and when you
try to impose your "freedoms" to other people, the result
ends up being less free. We respect copyleft, but we want
more.

Being pragmatical I think for 3.4 we will ship with
hunspell binaries of the available dictionaries, just
like LibreOffice does. We still cannot ship the existing
italian dictionary because of the GPL. It is not illegal
to do it but ASF's policies apply here so someone outside
the ASF will have to do it.

On the long run I think the Apache-Way means we give
prevalence to freedom over features so we either move
back to MySpell or we do something completely new based
on Apache openNLP.

cheers,

Pedro.