incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From eric b <eric.bach...@free.fr>
Subject Re: [AOO 3.4 Test Plan Discussion]Overview
Date Wed, 23 Nov 2011 08:55:57 GMT

Le 23 nov. 11 à 08:58, xia zhao a écrit :

> Hi all,

Hi,

> I think it's time for use to discuss and detail AOO 3.4 test plan now.
> Basically at current time I suggest:
>
>    1. Leverage OpenOffice users on General Usage test
>    2. Focus on establishing automation mechanism. Start from Build
>    Verification Testing(BVT in short).

Can you explain further please ?

>    3. Focus on test infrastructure set up. Start from case
> management tool. For 3.4, place the test cases on wiki and
> volunteer can do general testing against. If volunteer couldn't
> write cases, may give the test scope he would do. For example,
> which component etc. And then report defects in Apache Bugzilla.
>    4. Focus on Performance Verification Testing(PVT in short)
>    investigation, and setup benchmark PVT environment.
>    5. Establish QA entry in AOO wiki https://cwiki.apache.org/
>    6. Build private build before official build is ready

Repeat builds over and over builds is always a good idea, like
provide some of them for testing purpose, using Apache home, e.g.

As example, using Raphael builds :   http://people.apache.org/
~rbircher/builds

Is this what you mean with "private builds" ?

>    7. Platform will be covered
>

>    - Windows XP
>    - Win7 32bit/64bit

Do we really (need to) provide 64 bits version on windows ?

>    - Where we only have a 32bit windows version, it should run against
>    62bit windows version.
>    - Redhat 6 32 bit/64 bit
>    - Ubuntu 10.04 32 bit/64 bit
>    - Mac 10.7
>    - Mac 10.6.x

Please keep Mac OS X 10.4 and 10.5 compatibility as long as possible.

>    - FreeBSD 9.0/8.2 (9.0 is suppose to release at 12/07/2011?)
>    - OS2
>
> Welcome your comments.

I think it's far too early.

The current step is :

- IP clearance (not completed if I'm not wrong)
- fix build issues and see what disasters caused the removing of
important tools, like dmake and some other.

Next one will probably be :

- consolidate the build (on every OS)
- optimize configure command line
- optimize build dependencies for every OS
- find and welcome newcomers, and builders on every OS
- start to see whether blockers exist (crashes, important features
missing ...) or other big issues appeared since the 3.4.0rc
- start with localized builds, see where we are ... and so on

About QA, I'd better see  start to investigate about the existing
tests / unit tests, and improve.

To be frank, my opinion is that if serious QA is done, this must be
made as transparently as possible, by paid people from companies, but
not volunteers.

As volunteer, I remember I stopped to commit any cws and to
contribute directly to OpenOffice.org, because of excessive, stupid
and boring QA.

Anyway, I wish you as much of people to folllow you  :-)

Regards,
Eric Bachard
--
qɔᴉɹə