incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [WWW][Policy] Participate! - Rewriting contributing.openoffice.org
Date Sun, 27 Nov 2011 21:22:17 GMT

On Nov 27, 2011, at 12:05 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>> Redirects are easy once the live-site is our site and it can be figured out how to
add HTML <head> meta tags that the Apache CMS allows.  Also, there is always the good
old .htaccess scripting of a redirect (again, working around the CMS I suppose).

>> It should be done on at least on ooo-site even if it has no effect until cut-over.
>>
>> There is no reason to break a link on speculation when it is easy to avoid breaking
it, or having the break be temporary until cut-over.  (I'd bet the page has been search-indexed
and the "your download is starting, thank you for downloading" pages link to donation/contribution
points.)

> Dennis, I have absolutely no objections to any redirect rules that you
> are volunteering to implement.  I, however, do not think they are
> worth while, so I will not be spending any time on them.

I discussed with Joe at Apachecon the go-live redirect strategy - we should be able to do
most everything using permanent redirect rules for virtual hosts in httpd.conf files.

E.g. contributing.openoffice.org/* -> incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/participate/.

I have started at OOOUSERS page - https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/DNS,+Virtual+Hosts+and+Redirects

There is a large amount of detail to add to this, but you can see the plans forming around
DNS, Hosts, Redirects and specific locations in the project's svn tree.

Best Regards,
Dave

> -Rob
>
>> Finally, it is my understanding that cut-over of the static site is now at our option
and the AOOo has reasonable discretion with regard to timing.  It seems that cut-over can
be done as soon as ooo-site is ready enough to be the new live site.  And the subdomains don't
all have to cut over together and everything will still work.  A progressive, rolling cut-over
might even be in the cards.