incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Lawrence Rosen" <lro...@rosenlaw.com>
Subject RE: [ISSUE] Shut-down of all name@ openoffice.org e-mail addresses
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2011 17:48:03 GMT
? yourname@openoffice.org addresses will be shut down when the
> migration goes into its final stages sometime in November.

Is openoffice.org going away or itself being renamed in November? I must have missed that
announcement....

>  1. The presumption is that these addresses (and sometimes the
> services) cannot be preserved in the migration of the
> http://*.openoffice.org properties from Oracle custody to
> Apache custody, even though the domain name can be preserved.

I don't understand that presumption. Custody of a website has nothing to do with the addresses
within it or accessing it.

>  2. There is an untested presumption that it is not legal to
> transfer those forwarding accounts because of rules about
> privacy and European trans-national data-sharing regulations.

If you can articulate this concern more clearly, I'll forward it to European attorneys who
can advise us.

> There is speculation that the disruption of e-mail is tolerable
> and that most of the current accounts have been abandoned.
> That view seems to ignore the importance of these identifiers
> as part of the provenance structure for contributions to the
> open-source project and the integrity of the code base and
> related artifacts.

I cannot personally judge the technical obstacles you identify, but my gut tells me that we
shouldn't disrupt the existing flow of Open Office activities simply because ownership has
transferred to Apache. Nor will it be reasonable to ask our Infra team to manage 100K+ additional
email accounts.

Can you advise us what the minimum that has to be done in order to let Open Office continue
in non-crisis mode about this?

/Larry