incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [odfauthors-discuss] Feedback link for our documents
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2011 04:03:56 GMT
I got it wrong.

Dan Lewis reported the address as authors@ documentation.openoffice.org, not
feedback@ (he said documentation.office.org too).

What is of concern is the address given in PDFs and printed versions of the
User Guides.

For example, on the acknowledgment page (inside cover) of the Getting Started
with OpenOffice.org (3.2) book, the feedback for comment or suggestions is to
be addressed to authors@ user-faq.openoffice.org.  A later version (3.3) of
that book uses authors@ documentation.openoffice.org.

The authors@ list was quite active, running down from 97 posts in June down to
2 posts in October.  I didn't see any spam though.  Just discussion among
authors and answering questions from users.

ODFAuthors will use an address of their own from now on and I suspect that
includes by updates to the Wiki pages and PDF downloads.

There remains the question of what to do about the
@documentation.openoffice.org links that are in existing artifacts out there
in the world somewhere.

I don't think forwarding from authors @documentation.openoffice.org to a
non-Apache address is a good idea.  So maybe the use of a generic bounce is
the thing to do.

An alternative would be to forward it to an ooo-documentation@ i.a.o and the
ODF Authors could subscribe to it, field questions about their material, etc.,
if they choose.  It may be some time before any other documentation is
available and the traffic to ooo-documentation would probably meander to that
eventually.  If that were easy enough to do, I think it would provide the best
continuity of service.

My interest is to ensure that the issue is recognized at ooo-dev and that this
and similar cases are known.  Then our response can be on-purpose with full
knowledge of the situation..

 - Dennis