incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Apache Licensed Fonts (was Re: Font related questions)
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2011 20:34:05 GMT
Rob,

It might work to have a single NOTICE version, as some of the Sun/Oracle
distributions seemed to do in their THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME files.

E.g.,

    The following software may be included in this product: Bitstram
    Vera Fonts; Use of any of this software is governed by the terms
    of the license below:

    Bitstream, Inc.

    Bitstream Vera Fonts

    [ ... ]

    The Font Software may be sold as part of a larger software package
    but no copy of one or more of the Font Software typefaces may be
    sold by itself.

    [ ... ]

    The following software may be included in this product: MS Runtime
    Libraries; Use of any of this software is governed by the terms of
    the license below:

    Microsoft Corporation

    Runtime Libraries

    [ ... ]

I have no sense of whether that fits inside the Apache comfort zone for the
source-code release or it should be an expanded NOTICE that the build process
includes.  The ones that are installed with the binary Sun/Oracle
distributions have that nice "may be included" (so long as not taken as
permission).  This seems rather specific to the binary distribution.

I'm thinking that, in my own work, I will split them.  The build script can
put the binary one together from the source one and a supplement that covers
build/platform-dependent run-time dependencies.