incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <orc...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [ISSUE] Shut-down of all name@ openoffice.org e-mail addresses
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2011 17:29:12 GMT
Unfortunately, those are not just vanity addresses, they are part of a
single-signon system that was introduced across the http:// *.openoffice.org
web properties.  I had no idea that orcmid@openoffice.org was mine (or I
quickly forgot) when I registered on the site too many years ago.  I didn't
realize its significance until I needed that e-mail address to reregister on
the re-hosted bugzilla, restoring my connection to those particular issues
that were mine, and the particular issues that I am CC:-ed on.

It is easy to dispense with the consequences as if it is merely the
abandonment of a vanity forwarding service.  And even that has consequences
for openoffice.org as an enduring community institution.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Weir [mailto:apache@robweir.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 10:22
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [ISSUE] Shut-down of all name@ openoffice.org e-mail addresses

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 1:00 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <orcmid@apache.org> wrote:
> There are problems concerning migration of yourname@ openoffice.org,
> listname@
> openoffice.org, and servicename@ openoffice.org.  Consequently, all
> yourname@
> openoffice.org addresses will be shut down when the migration goes into its
> final stages sometime in November.
>
> I don't have a solution.  I have an appraisal of the issue.  It is something
> that requires mutual understanding and, out of our mutual attention, the
> prospect of a workable solution.

Dealing with the servicename@openoffice.org addresses is relatively
easy to handle.  Since we generally control the underlying service we
can simply change the service (or the wiki or website if these are
human-generated enails) to send notifications to one of our existing
lists.  We are doing that, for example with the BZ notifications.

yourname@openoffice.org -- I don't think providing free lifetime
personal email forwarding services to non project members is part of
the core mission for this project or ASF.  A Gmail account is free for
the asking.  And if someone really wants a project-related vanity
address, then apache.org is available to all committers.  But I do not
accept any obligation for this project to fix a situation caused by
bad choices and decisions by those in the past.

-Rob