incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <>
Subject RE: [ISSUE] Shut-down of all name@ e-mail addresses
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2011 17:29:12 GMT
Unfortunately, those are not just vanity addresses, they are part of a
single-signon system that was introduced across the http:// *
web properties.  I had no idea that was mine (or I
quickly forgot) when I registered on the site too many years ago.  I didn't
realize its significance until I needed that e-mail address to reregister on
the re-hosted bugzilla, restoring my connection to those particular issues
that were mine, and the particular issues that I am CC:-ed on.

It is easy to dispense with the consequences as if it is merely the
abandonment of a vanity forwarding service.  And even that has consequences
for as an enduring community institution.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Weir []
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 10:22
Subject: Re: [ISSUE] Shut-down of all name@ e-mail addresses

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 1:00 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <> wrote:
> There are problems concerning migration of yourname@,
> listname@
>, and servicename@  Consequently, all
> yourname@
> addresses will be shut down when the migration goes into its
> final stages sometime in November.
> I don't have a solution.  I have an appraisal of the issue.  It is something
> that requires mutual understanding and, out of our mutual attention, the
> prospect of a workable solution.

Dealing with the addresses is relatively
easy to handle.  Since we generally control the underlying service we
can simply change the service (or the wiki or website if these are
human-generated enails) to send notifications to one of our existing
lists.  We are doing that, for example with the BZ notifications. -- I don't think providing free lifetime
personal email forwarding services to non project members is part of
the core mission for this project or ASF.  A Gmail account is free for
the asking.  And if someone really wants a project-related vanity
address, then is available to all committers.  But I do not
accept any obligation for this project to fix a situation caused by
bad choices and decisions by those in the past.

View raw message