incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS]+[VOTE] Trademark and Branding
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2011 01:19:35 GMT
For the record, if one posts to ooo-dev without subscribing, there is no way to know that posting
succeeded, without looking on the archive.  There is also no way to see replies directly,
unless other posters realize that the poster is not subscribed and provide a direct CC:.

Although ooo-dev and ooo-user allow posting without subscribing (as do the @openoffice.org
lists), it is not necessarily very satisfying.  In particular, replies to requests for assistance
may be unseen in that case and lead to difficulties when someone does not even realized they
have posted in public on an e-mail list.   Win some, lose some, choose your poison.

It is true that there are some on the Forum threads who wanted to vote without having to subscribe
at all.  Of course, there was the problem of even knowing how to vote and knowing whether
it succeeded in that case.  I'm not particularly sympathetic to that desire.  I'm not certain
how I would have responded, beyond answering the factual question, were I aware of it at the
time.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Ross Gardler [mailto:rgardler@opendirective.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2011 14:37
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS]+[VOTE] Trademark and Branding

On 17 November 2011 22:19, Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie> wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 20:33:30 +0000
> Ross Gardler <rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:
>
>> It would help if someone told them they can post here without
>> subscribing and read responses via the archives (which is more
>> than can be said for the forums which force one to register,
>> ironic isn't it?)
>
> The OpenOffice.org Forum allows one to read and search fully
> without requiring registration.  Reistration is required if one
> wants to post; this requirement is for two reasons

I didn't mean to complain about the policy of requiring registration to post.

I was simply pointing out the that people were complaining about not
being able to post to ooo-dev without subscribing which is false and
we should make sure they know.

I find it amusing that these incorrect complaints were posted on a
forum which *does* require registration to post. By observing the
irony I was not intending to complain.

Ross

Ross