incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Draft IP Review Plan for OpenOffice
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2011 20:34:57 GMT
+1

This enumeration is working to ground a lot of considerations.  Thanks Rob.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Weir [mailto:robweir@apache.org]
Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2011 12:18
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Draft IP Review Plan for OpenOffice

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 2:43 PM, TJ Frazier <tjfrazier@cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> On 11/17/2011 14:16, Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> I've consolidated and summarized the various bits of guidance we've
>> received on this list and on legal-discuss, and distill in down into
>> relevant guidance for this project.  We don't need to all be experts
>> in this, but I think everyone contributing code needs to understand
>> the basics of what we may and may not do.  Since I know that not
>> everyone has followed all the threads, I think it is worth bringing
>> this information together in one place, for easy reference.
>>
>> Since this is my interpretation of Apache policy, or even my
>> interpretation of someone else's interpretation,  I'd ask you treat
>> this as a draft for now.  But please do review, ask questions, and
>> point out any information that you believe is incorrect.
>>

>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/IP+Plan+for+Apache+OpenOffice
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> -Rob
>>

> Good job, and much needed.
> Comments:
> (a) For item #4 under "Guidance for Source Releases", I suggest:
>
> s/This/Producing a copy-left-free binary/

Done.

> (b) Some further explanation of the situation regarding class-X-licensed
> build components would be helpful. In order to build, AFAIK, we need all
> sorts of things, like dmake, epm, gcc, &c. These have to be present or
> downloaded, true?

I just added a #8 for that.  These are not part of releases, but are
pre-req's either satisfied by the platform (on Linux or BSD) or via a
pre-req install, like Cygwin on Windows.

dmake -- I still don't see what we can do there.  It is still a hard
dependency even if we host it elsewhere.  We can't contribute it
upstream because the OOo project outlived the dmake upstream.  We're
the only user of it now.  But the copyleft license ensures.  We should
discuss more after our initial release.  Maybe we want to just slay
the dragon and get it over with, rewrite in GNU make.

-Rob