incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [WWW][Policy] Rewriting contributing.openoffice.org
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2011 19:33:57 GMT
And then there's "contributor" as a term of art in The Apache Way.  The
progression is contributor to committer.  Apparently one can contribute by
participating in the Apache nomenclature.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Weir [mailto:robweir@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, November 18, 2011 09:48
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [WWW][Policy] Rewriting contributing.openoffice.org

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 12:36 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:
[ ... ]

> I think you are making a distinction between participating and contributing
> (?) based on ???? actual participation -- coding, etc -- vs monetary
> contributions?

In English, participate means to take part in.  Contribute means to
give something (including money, time, resources, etc.) for a
charitable purpose.  So anyone who participates in the project is also
contributing to the project via their time..  But not everyone who
contributes is also participating.  For example, if you just donate
via Paypal, then you are contributing, but not participating.

[ ... ]