incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: The Old OOo Site
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2011 22:09:24 GMT
Short addition:

 1. There are alternatives to using SVN from the command line.  I use TortoiseSVN quite happily.

 2. Louis is an Apache OO.o incubator committer and can start working at once.

 3. I would not consider the old site "dead" but I agree that many changes should be made
at our staging version in anticipation of cutover.

 4. Granting that new changes to the current site will likely not be merged into the staging
site and be lost at cutover, there might still be useful cut-over anticipating adjustments
to the old site, both so that visitors know what is coming and also that there may be some
breakage already and also for a short time after cut-over.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Weir [mailto:robweir@apache.org]
Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2011 09:39
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: The Old OOo Site

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 11:55 AM, Louis Suárez-Potts
<lsuarezpotts@gmail.com> wrote:
[ ... ]
> I am referring to www.openoffice.org/ You have not answered the
> question—but I didn't think you could. The point is double:

We've already migrated huge chunks of the old OOo website over to
Apache, such as the support forums and the wiki.  The static webpages
have also been moved over, but we have not yet change the DNS entries
to point to the new Apache copy.  So right now we effectively have two
copies of the website.  I'd consider the openoffice.org copy to be
"dead".  The living copy is in SVN at Apache now.  We should be
working on that copy, and when it is ready then we can make it appear
at the familiar openoffice.org URL.

> 1. Can I alter the old site, www.openoffice.org/

If you do that, the changes will likely be lost.  It is better, I
think, to make changes in the ooo-site copy that we have at Apache.
Or get the change requests into BZ one way or another so they can be
applied.

> 2. When will the old site fully migrate to the new, and when that
> happens, what sort of content control would I (or someone like me)
> have?

Others can comment on the timing.  As far as I can tell, the answer is
"when we're ready".

Since the website files are checked into version control, any project
committer can change the website, including you.  This could be done
at the fille/SVN level for those who like command lines, or via the
web-based Apache CMS, which allows you do make these changes in your
browser.

-Rob

[ ... ]