incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [ISSUE] Shut-down of all name@ openoffice.org e-mail addresses
Date Wed, 02 Nov 2011 16:49:11 GMT
Yes, I'll take my badge off and put my pistol in the safe:

Shane,

 1 (below). Your response fits the consensus I am seeing develop.  Nothing fancy, bounce them,
but some kind of catcher is needed to send something intelligible back other than no-such-address.

 2 (below). I think killing all myname@ openoffice.org apart with limited forwardings for
committers it would be a horrible blunder of Klingon caliber: "All but committers are unworthy
worms."  It should make great slashdot reading.  Not to mention the glee on the faces of those
in the Apache AOOo Waiting To Fail (WTF) fan club.

Please do not collapse this system with the use of Apache IDs and myID@ apache.org addresses,
even though there is a similarity in function.  This is more like what happens when people
register themselves to use the wiki or a forum or a mailing list, etc.  The complication is
that when folks registered on the OO.o site, they also got a forwardable e-mail address that
went with that ID.  And these ID/e-mail combinations are ubiquitous in the http:// *.openoffice.org
ecosystem.  It is a kind of a fledgling, limited-reach OpenID/single-sign-on system.

 - Dennis

I also have an addition to my list of where there are breakages with these e-mail (not list)
addresses: Some number of iCLAs have openoffice.org e-mail addresses as the e-mail of record.
 That won't interfere too badly with those who have already been established as committers
(at AOOo at least) but it is another bullet item for my original list.