incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject Microsoft Tools for Windows Builds
Date Sun, 20 Nov 2011 06:06:37 GMT
Another conversation came up (on [libre-office]) on how to find the installed
VC++ software from within cygwin.  The attempted approach involved
mucking-about in the Windows Registry in order to track down the tools.  That
struck me as the long way around.  The Windows Developer Tools themselves are
able to bootstrap command-line environments using a few environment variables
and some batch scripts as levers.

I also confirmed that when cygwin starts up, it absorbs the path and
environment variables that exist at the time.

This preconditioning seems much healthier than attempting to reach out from
cygwin into the Windows environment.

Here's how I demonstrated it working.

 1.  I have batch scripts that I use to launch console windows with the Visual
C++ environment all set up.  One is the attached MyVC++.bat.txt (with the .txt
removed).  It creates the correct path, environment variables, etc., for a
VC++ command-line build.

 2. The second batch script, VCygwin.bat.txt (without the .txt) is placed in
my C:\cygwin folder where I can run it whenever I want a cygwin environment
that is already set up to use VC++.  (A copy of MyVC++.bat is placed in the
same folder with the original cygwin.bat script and the modified VCygwin.bat.)

 3. What I get when the cygwin is started using VCygwin.bat is shown in the
attached PNG file.  (In the illustrated case, I am using a MyVC++.bat that
sets up VC++ 2010 Express Edition, what I have installed on the same machine I
just added cygwin to.)

 4. This same principle can be used to create a setup that uses additional
included files and libraries of the Windows SDK and the ATL include files and
libraries of the Windows DDK.  It is setup before cygwin is started and the
settings and tools are then available for the entire session.

That's how I would do it. (I need to test the same idea to see if it works
with the bash shell in the Windows Posix SUA subsystem.)

There's more too it of course because of the way the Windows file system is
mapped for access under cygwin and how commands to the VC++ command-line
compiler are created.  But that must be done somehow either way.

 - Dennis