incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Non-Apache maintenance release for OOo 3.3?
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2011 19:11:13 GMT
I think something important is being overlooked in the position about release
using the OpenOffice.org name.

There is clear interest in having a maintenance release.  It might not even be
technically difficult.  Wanting to also fold it into the OpenOffice.org
release lineage is the problem.

An OpenOffice.org 3.3.1 maintenance release is *not* going to be an Apache
release, and not using any Apache code or licenses, I surmise.  It will be on
the OpenOffice.org 3.3 code base that is available under LGPL.  So it is a
derivative work, but not of Apache-licensed code.

In some sense, that is even more reason, under normal conditions, to deny
identification of that maintenance result with the OpenOffice.org name.

The tension is that it is closer to an OpenOffice.org 3.3 maintenance release
than anything that will ever appear as Apache OpenOffice version-whatever.
And more timely.  The question is under what conditions can this be allowed to
be identified as part of an OpenOffice.org 3.3.x progression?

 - Dennis

MUSINGS

It seems to me that it is more straightforward to consider that the
OpenOffice.org line has ended.  The only thing possible, now, are derivatives
of the LGPL OpenOffice.org code base (such as LibreOffice is already), other
existing peers of OpenOffice.org, and the reset that Apache OpenOffice
represents (and its eventual derivatives too).

In that regard, it would be more appropriate for the proposed 3.3.1
maintenance release to be identified as a derivative (e.g., Team OpenOffice
3.3.1).  It can make nominative use of OpenOffice.org in regard to it being a
maintenance derivative of OpenOffice.org 3.3 and that aspect is settled.
Other trademark issues can be resolved with Team OpenOffice and, meanwhile,
the derivative can be a clean release with splash screens, About dialogs, and
other insignia that do not employ Apache trademarks and symbols in any way
beyond non-confusing nominative usage.  There is now no confusion about the
roots of the release and its independence from Apache.

On the OpenOffice.org site, it should be possible to identify the existence of
this derivative and link to a Team OpenOffice page that indicates its
availability, solicits funds, or whatever, as a recognized peer.  It is
possible to link to LibreOffice in the same manner, and also other members of
OpenOffice.org lineage and, other support for the ODF document format as well.
The emergence of Apache OpenOffice and the steps toward incubator releases can
also be featured, obviously.

That, apart from complications concerning localizations and other downstream
support of the 3.3.1 including user support and bug reporting against the
release, would seem to be that.  There is also the LGPL requirement that the
source code of the release be available.

I suspect that there is a desire for closer coupling than that.  The problem,
of course, is that the Podling can do nothing with the OpenOffice.org 3.3 LGPL
code base.  And my understanding is that binaries of such code shall not be
distributed via Apache sites either. The Apache OpenOffice code base is not
usable instead; it is not even being positioned for maintenance release of an
OpenOffice.org 3.3.1 equivalent. Probably the only case would be the unlikely
possibility of Oracle undertaking such a release (meaning that updates would
all be under Oracle SCA though).