incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Piracy - Fwd: [documentation-dev] look this please
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2011 17:19:25 GMT
I agree that "pirate" is the wrong term.

The button on the page linked in the complaint downloads a file of only 248kB
named OpenOfficeSetup.exe.  It is not exactly an OO.o download.

It has a digital signature in the name of appbundler.com and it checks as a
Verisign Class 3 Code Signing 2010 CA cert. A quick check with Microsoft
Security Essentials does not detect the file as malware.  It has the usual
installer icon.

Using Windows XP SP3 in a VM, I ran the program in the Windows XP Run As ...
restricted-privilege mode.  I was rewarded with the attached message.

Since the digital signature checks OK on the file, the message itself is
suspect.

A quick web search on "appbundler.com" reveals an extensive reputation for
distributing adware.

Using Jotti's malware scan, <http://virusscan.jotti.org/en>, there were 12 out
of 20 detections of malware.  The indications were for

  Adware.Screensave.e
  ADWARE/Adware.Gen
  Gen:Variant.Adware.Hotbar.2

and Adware screensavers with various detection names.  Not sure how reliable
any of that is.

 - Dennis

 - Dennis