incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <>
Subject RE: [Code] strategy for "child works spaces"
Date Sun, 20 Nov 2011 01:38:50 GMT
For the specific situation of exploring CWS:gnumake4, I have some concrete advice: Don't try
it.  The changes are extensive and the effort to catch all of the incompatibilities and repair
them reaches into pretty much everywhere there is a *.mk file.

 - Dennis

Here's what I did.

 1. I went to the Hg CWS page: <>.

 2. As a safeguard I downloaded the gz of CWS:gnumake4.  It is a 251MB file identified as
gnumake4-b3086537b169.tar.gz, although I didn't have to fool with it.

 3. I then created a file folder named cws-gnumake4.  I used TortoiseHg (2.1.2-x64) to clone
the the CWS into that folder.  This is the hg command that was used:

     hg clone --verbose -- .

(correct any linewrap.  Also at the end is a "." for the current directory, which was the
new directory cws-gnumake4)

 4. The clone is for a complete OOo tree of course, and it takes a while.

 5. When the clone was completed, I was able to right-click on the top folder and launch the
TortoiseSVN Workbench tool.  This is to see the full revision graph of the cloned repository.
 I think hgk and hgview are possible alternatives on Linux/Unix systems.

 6. The bad news: Looking down the default path (the root of the graph to my working directory
copy), each node that represents a commit can be clicked to see what happened.  It will show
the commit message, and a list of all of the files involved (deleted, added, and modified).
 Click on any modified file and a patch is shown of what the change was.

There are 27 linear changes before things get pretty confusing.  But 113 (not-necessarily
different) files are involved just among those changes.

28 back, a merge of writerfilter10 happens. Before that there are merges of 00034fixes, etc.
 Also, the gnumake4 path keeps going.  It looks like it goes back at least 8 months.  There's
some gnumake3 merging too.  All of the changes I inspected were to *.mk files.  I got cross-eyed
following paths backward in the graph and gave up without finding where gnumake4 started.