incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS]: content of the about dialog box
Date Tue, 22 Nov 2011 17:54:58 GMT
+1

"All rights reserved" is some legalese hangover, and is a factually incorrect claim that makes
folks nutty.  It is better not to use it at all.

I believe the standard Apache notice suggested by Gianluca is appropriate. There could be
buttons (or links) for accessing the installed copies LICENSE and NOTICE and a few words about
details being there.  Any README about what this is, where it is from, how to find the source,
more-recent information, and details of the release is also worthy.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Gianluca Turconi [mailto:public@letturefantastiche.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 00:37
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS]: content of the about dialog box

2011/11/21 Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org>:
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Andrea Pescetti
> <pescetti@openoffice.org> wrote:
>> Rob Weir wrote:
>>>
>>> So in total, maybe something like:
>>> =========
>>> Copyright © 2011 Apache Software Foundation. All rights reserved.

[ ... ]

I think it would be better to use the same wording that there will be in
the NOTICE file (according to http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html):

"Apache [PRODUCT_NAME]
Copyright [yyyy] The Apache Software Foundation

*This product includes software developed at
The Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/)*."

In this way Apache wouldn't claim* full rights* (including intellectual
ownership) in the about dialog box that instead is denying in a
hypothetical NOTICE file for specific files.

Regards,

Gianluca
--
Lettura gratuita o acquisto di libri e racconti di fantascienza,
fantasy, horror, noir, narrativa fantastica e tradizionale: