incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Rationalizing two OpenOffice websites
Date Tue, 22 Nov 2011 17:54:58 GMT
++1

AH!! Jürgen said the magic word: PORTAL.  Now I can say something that has been nagging at
me without words.

It will be extremely valuable for the openoffice.org web site to remain the portal of the
openoffice.org lineage, where the entry to Apache OpenOffice is more tightly-coupled but not
exclusive. And user support is for the lineage, even though activity may become more about
Apache OpenOffice releases in the future.

One concern about changing the URLs for the wiki and the forums:  This will break absolute
bookmarks and cross-references from users and from elsewhere in the site, including in the
forums, unless the existing URLs are (also) preserved.  This also impacts existing search-engine
indexing.

I would rather preserve those URLs.  The shorter ones are nice and the old ones could redirect
to them.  And I wouldn't do this quickly unless it is clearly a no-brainer and the redirect/rewrite
works perfectly. It is also something that could be done independently of all the static-page
remodeling that is needed.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Jürgen Schmidt [mailto:jogischmidt@googlemail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 02:25
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Rationalizing two OpenOffice websites

it sounds like a Déjà vu and i think we had already a discussion that
goes in this direction.

Yes, i totally agree on this separation and it makes sense to me. Moving
forward with this separation we need much less migration and can
concentrate on the most important pages of the main portal (for users)
www.openoffice.org.

Hopefully we can change wiki.services.openoffice.org to
wiki.openoffice.org and can redirect the old Url to the new short one.
and the same for the forum users.services.openoffice.org

The portal side provide the main info about the product (mainly
marketing material), provide the download (with the infra structure
behind), but also provides the entry points to the wiki, to the forum
and of course openoffice.apache.org for project members.

I really like that

Juergen

On 11/22/11 12:46 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
> We have with this project something that most other Apache projects
> don't have and which the legacy OOo project never had.  We have two
> independent websites.

[ ... ]