incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Microsoft Tools for Windows Builds
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2011 17:37:02 GMT
Andre,

I have my own interests in this kind of construction setup for Windows builds.  I offered
my snippets in case they are also useful in streamlining the Windows build case for Apache
OpenOffice.

I only did a little proof of concept to confirm that the settings are conveyed into a cygwin
session properly.   There could always be a show-stopper later on.  Something I didn't dig
into was setting up the command-line parameters to the tools such that tool-understandable
paths (not cygwin ones?) are used.  I assume that already has a solution and the make processor
that is run under cygwin has no problem.

 - Dennis

MORE ARM-CHAIR ANALYSIS

It seemed to me that the way cygwin is used to find the necessary dependencies among the Microsoft
development tools is fragile and, seemingly, too much black art.  I based that on observation
of some folks having difficulty with getting builds to work in various cases (at LO and here).

It seems easier, and better for those who just want to do builds for QA, to establish the
tool-dependency connections before starting the build under cygwin at all.  This can be by
setting up and confirming the tool-required environment variables and path settings first.
 It is relatively easy to do and the Microsoft tools already have scripts that help without
any registry dependencies required.  It should also be easier for an user to trouble-shoot.

That way an user can choose which versions of the tools to use when many are installed side-by-side
on the same system and also know before starting a build process that the tools are reachable.

 - Dennis