incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS]: content of the about dialog box
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2011 17:37:02 GMT
There's no reason not to install a copy of ALv2 and the NOTICE file in the root folder of an
install.  That way the NOTICE is the one that applies to the version that is installed.  (OpenOffice.org
already did this with the THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.html file.)

[ ... ]

4) Statement that notices for other 3rd party components can be found
int he the NOTICE file, and link to that

5) The credits link, if we want to maintain that

If we were producing a Java library, we would have the LICENSE and
NOTICE in the root of the tar file we distribute.  So it would be
prominent.  I think we should also give prominence to these items in
the about box.

So in total, maybe something like:

=========

Copyright © 2011 Apache Software Foundation. All rights reserved.

"Apache OpenOffice", "OpenOffice.org" and the OpenOffice logo are
trademarks of the Apache Software Foundation.

Terms and conditions for use, reproduction and distribution of this
software is governed by the Apache 2.0 license:

This software contains 3rd party open source software modules
acknowledged in the following notice:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/trunk/main/NOTICE

Apache OpenOffice acknowledges all community members, especially those
mentioned at:

http://www.openoffice.org/welcome/credits.html.

=========

Of course, IANAL, so we should probably review this on legal-discuss
once we have consensus here on what our preferred statement is.

-Rob