incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Blog Draft: OpenOffice.org Migration -- The Community Forums
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2011 03:42:09 GMT
<orcmid comments="in-line" />

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Fisher [mailto:dave2wave@comcast.net]
Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 19:56
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Cc: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org; dennis.hamilton@acm.org
Subject: Re: Blog Draft: OpenOffice.org Migration -- The Community Forums

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 15, 2011, at 8:07 PM, Donald Whytock <dwhytock@gmail.com> wrote:

> Nice effort put into this.  Some grammar-weenie-ings and thoughts...
>
> -- "including of ones own posts" should be "including of one's own posts".

<orcmid>
  I'm certain this's right.  I had to look to be sure, and learn
  that the rule about possessive pronouns and "its" just doesn't
  apply here.  Thanks  for the catch.  Fixed.
</orcmid>

> -- "Forum operation  More-experienced" should be "Forum operation.
> More-experienced".

<orcmid>
  The second missing "." - I think I'm wearing out my keyboard.
</orcmid>

> -- "The Forums embrace all of the descendants of the original
> StarOffice/OpenOffice.org that have become siblings in the
> OpenOffice.org galaxy.  Tips and solutions in the use of one release
> are often useful to users of a product cousin having the same
> feature."  Given descendants and siblings, what is a "cousin"?  Is
> this a term of art[1]?  Does it refer to a branch within OOo, or a
> branch outside of OOo such as LO?

We've learned that peers is a term that works with LO. I would suggest that or
related. This way no one will get hung up on relational distance and who is
the black sheep of the family.

<orcmid>
  Thanks Dave and Don. I was working too hard to avoid repetitions of
  words.  Peers works fine, especially since it recognizes
  equal standing.  Good one.
</orcmid>

Regards,
Dave

> -- "The OpenOffice.org Community Forums are one way that the Web
> connects users of OpenOffice.org-related products.  There are
> additional communities across the Internet with similar concerns as
> well as different specialties.  These can employ mailing lists,
> Internet news groups, and other web-based forums.  The Web and search
> engines bring the different resources of these communities into the
> reach of each other and users everywhere.   The OpenOffice.org
> Community Forums are now continuing as a substantial resource of that
> extended community." Not sure this paragraph is as useful as a
> statement that URLs have been preserved to keep existing search-engine
> repositories useful, which the next two paragraphs come close to
> saying.  On the other hand, it might look good on a "Where to Get
> Help" page on the site.

<orcmid>
  Funny. I wasn't thinking of maintaining location for search engines
  at all, but for the preservation of deep linking and ability of
  individuals to find things where they expected.  It also preserved
  integration from forums to materials referenced elsewhere in the site,
  but that was probably not going to be an issue.
    I've added two sentences to the final paragraph to be more
  emphatic about why preserved locations are important.
    Thanks Donald, that's a big deal that should not be overlooked.
</orcmid>

> -- Closing paragraph?  Something along the lines of, "See?  Wasn't
> that cool?"  Or alternately, "Y'all come!"

<orcmid>
   Uh, I want to pass on this one.  It seems completely out of harmony
   with the voice and tone of the preceding material.
</orcmid?