incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [Code] strategy for "child works spaces"
Date Sat, 19 Nov 2011 20:29:19 GMT
Pedro,

Why does bringing in a CWS require creating diffs?

If the CWS is installed on a client, any diffing can be done afterwards using tools that support
SVN, yes?

Have you checked the instructions for how non-committers can use SVN to prepare a patch from
changed files in a working copy?  Is there a way to exploit that for what you are thinking
of?

 - Dennis

PS: I agree that many concrete cases of working on a branch can be kept simple.  But an extensive
feature requires some way to be integrated for build-checking somehow.  There are also preparations
that can be made in the main tree by having benign stubs awaiting integration of a live feature.
 It all takes foresight and attention to modularization and interfaces, though.

-----Original Message-----
From: Pedro Giffuni [mailto:pfg@apache.org]
Sent: Saturday, November 19, 2011 10:02
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org; dennis.hamilton@acm.org
Subject: RE: [Code] strategy for "child works spaces"

--- On Sat, 11/19/11, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> This is not my area of expertise by
> any means.
>
> And I have a concern that this is topic is being
> over-simplified.  This description is to test my own
> understanding of what it takes.

I have concern that things look a lot more complex when
we discuss them too much, and eventually we will not
try anything at all.

[ ... ]

I would be interested in working in a development branch
if there is a clear path to integrate some of the CWSs there.
At this point I don't know how to turn those into diffs
(I guess I have to do that in Hg, and I am not good at it).

[ ... ]