incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <>
Subject RE: OO.o 3.3.1 Maintenance Release Consideration
Date Sat, 26 Nov 2011 17:38:03 GMT
Um, perhaps you could have asked Dennis?

Not to appear unduly humorless (since I don't always decode what Simon says very well), I
need to say I was not seeing a Team OO.o 3.3.1 as the same as an 3.3.0 Novell
Edition, since 3.3.1 it is not intended to be a parallel line, but a maintenance edition on
the existing line.  (I see the humor for making an Apache OpenOffice edition of LO 3.x.  It
is not possible of course and Simon did wink.)
My point was that the Novell approach apparently caused no damage to the brand and another
edition with added functionality was provided.  However, it was clearly an
release with supplemental provisions and never a fork.

So how the Team OO.o could be acknowledged for its significant part in making the 3.3.1 release
happen might be done with similar modifications in the appearance of the distribution and
installer along the lines of what Novell did, or even how Sun acknowledged itself for being
the producer of a distribution on the installer and splash screens.  Oracle followed suit,
even though these were Open Source distributions.  (I trust 3.3.1 will not hawk Java, browser
toolbars, or anything like that, however.)  I suspect Apache OpenOffice binary releases will
be clothed in a similar manner.  I do not suggest that 3.3.1 be downloaded from anywhere but
the same place that OO.o 3.3.0 comes from.

The concluding point was at the end of my message.  I suggest restraints so that 3.3.1 remains
locked into 3.3 lineage: 3.3.1 could be presented gently as
a Team contributed update of 3.3.0 but firmly in the OO.o 3.3 stream and distributed
and supported entirely as if the OO.o project is its origin: registration is with,
all live links concerning support, on-line help, downloading, etc., are  The
identification of Team OO.o would not direct users to that site although there would be some
provision for finding out more about Team OO.o including providing its (non-clickable?) URL.

There are technical conditions on how OO.o 3.3.1 is developed such that Apache OpenOffice
and the ASF can contemplate accepting it as an update of  That also has to
be worked out.  I have my eye on the end game: how does this reach users and what will it
appear as to them?  I suspect that Team OO.o has their attention on that aspect as well.

This was also a clumsy effort to move a conversation about this to the broad ooo-dev forum.
 I'm not clear what success there is beside confirming that I and some others are humorless

 - Dennis