incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Shutdown of openoffice.org email forwarder: How to notify users
Date Fri, 11 Nov 2011 02:30:56 GMT
I'm concerned that there is some confusion of lists with the myname@ openoffice.org ID/forwarding
scheme.

Posts are already going to the lists about their imminent shutdown, with indication of suggested
alternatives at ooo-*@ i.a.o lists.

There has not been a comparable effort to notify the holders of myname@ openoffice.org accounts
that those accounts will soon cease to function as mail-forwarding accounts.

I think that one such avenue for such announcements is the currently-active lists@ openoffice.org,
but perhaps with a simpler message that addresses demise of those forwarding accounts specifically?

There's a different message that applies to the use of myname@ openoffice.org as a CC or submitter
or project-member identifier in Bugzilla.  There are probably others.  All that needs to be
sorted out as well.  I prefer those cases to be dealt with separately as well.  No need to
confuse those not impacted by those cases.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: luispo@gmail.com [mailto:luispo@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Louis Suárez-Potts
Sent: Thursday, November 10, 2011 12:50
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Shutdown of openoffice.org email forwarder: How to notify users

[ ... ]

yes. I was asked and have wanted to issue this statement, but lacked
the clarity needed to make it make sense until fairly recently:

To Marketing, Discuss and other lists:

"OpenOffice.org is moving to the Apache site (URL). The project
continues to work and to grow, and you are invited, as always, to
contribute to it. But you need to do that now on the Apache site [URL}
and you need to join the relevant lists for contributions.

"The new project and community won't be the same as the old. That's
good. It also means that we won't be using the @openoffice.org alias
being a member of OpenOffice.org allowed. There will certainly be
opportunity and even intensity to building the new project and
community, and our success will depend ultimately on your
participation in the new community—which I hope you will help bring
into this world."

—and possibly some other information on where they must go to
contribute, though I'd rather point to a static URL wiki for that, or
to the existing one we have for the incubator.
I'd also formally be resigning or belatedly? from my posts.

[ ... ]