incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [ISSUE] Shut-down of all name@ openoffice.org e-mail addresses
Date Wed, 02 Nov 2011 19:38:06 GMT
Rob,

I'm all for graceful degradation and removing sudden-death perils regarding the current openoffice.org
User-ID/e-mail-forwarding setup.  This seems to be independent of what concerns you and others
concerning the lists and I see no reason why they can't be parallel efforts, given the usual
concern for finding more resources beyond the already-overloaded volunteers.

Continuing my adventures into arm-chair astronaut instant design:

I think the most-important thing that Oracle could do right now, while the forwarding service
is operating, is send a bulk e-mail to all current myname@ openoffice.org account holders
asking them to opt-in to any transfer to Apache.  Bounces could be used to opt-out those accounts
and shrink the list.  It is most efficiently done there because the profiles and the account
control, as well as password recovery functions, are there now.

An opt-out could be done, but I personally favor an opt-in.  Since it require action, it would
have to be publicized quickly if Oracle concurs.  Unfortunately, opt-in may take some development
work Oracle-side.

I suppose an easy way to opt-out instead is to have folks blank out the forwarding address
for their accounts.  That might be easier. It would still be great to opt-out all of the bounces
too.

 There might be some Apache-side work that could be done to support that, but nothing Apache-side
can go into effect until the transfer happens.  Still, it would be valuable to put up a page
at a non-threatened URL (maybe on OOUSER?) that the opt-out request could link to.  It might
be good to have translations in different languages also available on that Apache-side page.
 After cut-over, this might be updated to explain what did or did not happen.  I would want
to enroll some of our multi-lingual participants, including OOo Forum folk in that endeavor
as well as publicizing the change.

I think this would lead to a much-reduced list of active, willing myname@ openoffice.org forwarder
mapping and then it would be a matter of seeing how to host that reduced forwarding in some
sort of simple way.  I see that Infrastructure (and Shane) have some reluctance around this.

I also think the legalities need to be understood better and I believe Legal is checking on
that based on some table-talk I observed in some e-mails that hit my desk.  I await whatever
available course is determined in those inquiries.  I have no details nor any knowledge of
whatever Oracle grant was made concerning the openoffice.org site and the functions provided
in conjunction with the site.  I suspect that any agreement for the safe transfer of a sanitized
myname@ openoffice.org forwardings list will come from that effort and nothing I am privy
to.

 - Dennis