incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <>
Subject RE:
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2011 01:03:50 GMT
Where are the rights by which the ASF (including the Apache OO PPMC) is entitled to capture
the content?  And even were it somehow legally acceptable, I don't see how it
fits with ASF policy.

Even were the domain transferred to ASF (and I have mislaid the list), grabbing the content
is a different story. is not one of the web properties the way
that the Community Forums are.

The Community Forums have already been ported to ASF Hosting.  I don't see
how is in that category.

Am I the only one who is confused about talk that is somehow available to the
Apache OpenOffice project?

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: [] On Behalf Of Louis Suárez-Potts
Sent: Sunday, November 20, 2011 16:27
Subject: Re:

On 20 November 2011 15:48, Peter Roelofsen <> wrote:
> The situation at is highly problematic. On the one hand it
> still has a large collection of very valuable posts, I believe largely in
> the Code snippets and Macros and API forums (the main reason why some people
> still bother to fight a losing battle against the spammers). On the other
> hand, spammers have free rein there, as moderators and active admins don't
> have sufficient powers to stop a spammer dead in their tracks. The only
> active admins at the moment are Andrew Pitonyak and JohnV - and they can't
> decently ban a spammer, they can only delete their account - so that they
> can make a new one with the same e-mail address. Moderators (I'm one) can
> only delete posts and threads, and lock, move and split threads, they can't
> stop a spammer.
> In my view the best thing to do would be to have a script download all
> topics that are worth saving,m and after that inform the modes and lower
> admins to stop moderating the forum, so that the site admin, one Ed, will
> after a while close the place.

As with any value judgement…

How difficult would it be simply to port the entirety of the content
to a static site, close it to comments, point to it as needed, and
start fresh with a 1) server for user-contributor-developer forums and
b) policy enabling federation by domain (or so) inclusion of
sympathetic sites?

> floris v aka Peter Roelofsen

View raw message