incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <orc...@apache.org>
Subject RE: GPL'd dictionaries (was Re: ftp.services.openoffice.org?)
Date Thu, 24 Nov 2011 20:27:05 GMT
Simple point: Something is category B because someone with the authority to do so put a category
B license on it.  It doesn't matter what it is or how wrong-headed they were to do that.

More complicated: It is important to understand the principle behind how category B material
is handled the way it is in binaries.  It is about not having users commit errors with regard
to the licensing of some material and making it difficult to innocently violate the applicable
license.  See < http://apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-b> and note that it never
suggests that source code (whatever that means in a given case) is ever in the SVN nor in
the source of a release - the inclusion is only in binary form within the product, with suitable
labeling, etc.  (There is an exception for certain kinds of *small* source, and "source" consumed
at runtime.  I'd be very careful before assuming being discussed here qualifies for that exception
is being discussed here.  I'm with Pedro on the prudence side.)

That FAQ is discussed with some regularity, and if it is not clear enough, questions to legal
are appropriate.

-----Original Message-----
From: Pedro Giffuni [mailto:pfg@apache.org]
Sent: Thursday, November 24, 2011 11:47
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: GPL'd dictionaries (was Re: ftp.services.openoffice.org?)

Hi Mathias;

--- On Thu, 11/24/11, Mathias Bauer <mathias_bauer@gmx.net> wrote:

> > You mean like just tar them all and put them with the
> binary
> > release?
>
> Yes. Even packaging as extension and deploying these
> packages as part of a binary release does not look
> fundamentally different than bundling a library.

I think this is a perfectly viable solution.

The only issue is what type of maintenance are
we planning to do on this. I had suggested
Apache Extras as a point of encounter for
contributors as we can't maintain this directly,
but perhaps this is something that doesn't get
updated very much or perhaps the real maintainers
can handle this on their own (as extensions).

Pedro.