incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [ISSUE] Shut-down of all name@ openoffice.org e-mail addresses
Date Sun, 06 Nov 2011 21:00:37 GMT

hints about that.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Weir [mailto:robweir@apache.org]
Sent: Saturday, November 05, 2011 10:06
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [ISSUE] Shut-down of all name@ openoffice.org e-mail addresses

[ ... ]

I'm looking for what's best for the project, Dennis.  If someone was
using an openoffice.org address for reporting defects to the project,
and the only way to contact them is through that address, then the
project benefits if we can ensure our ability to contact them.  if
they were using their openoffice.org address for other things,
unrelated to the project, then that is not our concern.  AOOo is not
the ISP to the world.

In any case, I suggest we pick a drop dead date, say in 2 weeks time.
If no one has come up with a better plan at that point, then we go
ahead with notifications via the addresses that are publicly
available, via BZ, etc., as well as prominent notifications on the
website and mailing list.  We should risk dropping all of the users
without notification, and at very short notice,  if we do nothing but
hold out for the unlikely perfect solution.  The perfect is the enemy
of the good, etc.

[ ... ]