incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <rabas...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GPL'd dictionaries (was Re: ftp.services.openoffice.org?)
Date Thu, 24 Nov 2011 17:39:48 GMT
On Nov 24, 2011, at 12:17 PM, "Dennis E. Hamilton" <orcmid@apache.org> wrote:

> Three concerns, in addition to the ones Gianluca expressed already:
>
> 1. The extensions.services.openoffice.org site is not working reliably and is not operated
by ASF.  Any in-product access to the site has to work well and deal with unavailability.

Do you have a proposal?

> 2. I repeat my security concern over the increase of the product attack surface when
such downloading and installation is done internal to operation of the product or its installer
(which may already require elevated privileges) without coming up with stronger means for
authenticating extension downloads.  (The dictionary case is for data, so that is not quite
so scary.  Authentication still matters.)

Do you have a proposal?

> 3. Any automatic update mechanism is a further concern.

Do you have a proposal?

> A security review activity is apparently missing from the development and feature-decision
process.  That is not going to serve us well considering that this is a consumer product directed
toward non-expert and household users.  It must be assumed that our turn will come.

Do you have a proposal?