incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From NoOp <gl...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Shutting down legacy OOo mailing lists
Date Fri, 21 Oct 2011 01:06:25 GMT
On 10/20/2011 11:28 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 2:15 PM, Wolf Halton <wolf.halton@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Do any of these lists have publicly accessible archives?  It would be a
>> shame to lose those, when the lists shut down.  I suspect messages about OOo
>> 1.x are pretty much dead, or at least the software is pretty much
>> obsoleted.  Those archives might be less useful.
>>

> Yes, there is a MarkMail archive of 333 OOo mailing lists, 1.6 million
> messages, going back to the project's start in 2000.
>
> See:  http://openoffice.markmail.org/

I fail to understand why you continue to fall back on MarkMail for
archives rather than simply pulling the archives over to an Apache
server. MarkMail is a third party service that can terminate it's
services at any time & have their own ToU. See:

http://markmail.org/docs/terms-of-use.xqy
<quote>
2. Provision of Service

You understand and agree that MarkMail is provided to you on an as is
and as available basis. You understand that MarkMail is experimental,
that its availability may be intermittent, and that its content may be
incomplete. Furthermore, We reserve the right, without any notice or
liability to you, to change the functionality of the Service or to cease
providing the Service at any time. Finally, We reserve the right to
refuse service to anyone at our sole discretion.
</quote>

Might be worth reading the entire ToU... and
http://markmail.org/docs/content-policy.xqy
Content Not Complete
Usage and Personal Information

Point is that Apache have no control over MarkMail, or their services.
Should MarkMail go belly up tomorrow Apache would have no archives at
all. Certainly if list archivals like gmane, nabble, and MarkMail can do
this without issue, Apache should be able to do the same... particularly
since the lists are already archived on the kenai servers.

http://kenai.com/projects/ooo-migration/lists
http://kenai.com/projects/ooo-migration/pages/Home

Or am I missing something/misunderstanding your reasoning to rely on a
third party to archive the OOo lists?