incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Joost Andrae <Joost.And...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Slooooow spreadsheet documents
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2011 21:35:05 GMT
Hi Rob,

just a remark:

In my private opinion it would make more sense to invest resources into
impementing a formula reference which points to expanded formula cells
(/edit/fill) like it is already done for formatting templates within the
sheet.
A slow sheet doesn't necessarily mean that calculation is slow. Better
resolving references within the sheet (in my opinion) has more potential
to make such documents faster. I believe by using formula references the
documents' memory footprint could be lowered as well because a formula
reference doesn't cost as much as a cell content containing a formula
and containing edit engine data.

At one of the OOo conferences I vaguely remember there was a university
project that already parallelized computation of Calc sheets.
Unfortunately I cannot remember the project/university name anymore.
Probably having a look at the conference session drafts might give us
some more insight.

> I was talking to someone earlier who had ideas for speeding up
> spreadsheet computation through parallelization, and was looking for
> some notoriously slow test documents.

Kind regards, Joost