incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Stahl <...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: GStreamer avmedia plugin as copyleft?
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2011 08:58:48 GMT
On 05.10.2011 09:42, J├╝rgen Schmidt wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 4:53 AM, Pedro Giffuni <pfg@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> --- On Tue, 10/4/11, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
>>>
>>> it seems you miss my point here.
>>> If you disable building and shipping GStreamer because it
>>> links against copy-left system libs, then you should
>>> remove the VCL plugins too (AFAIK gtk is LGPL, I'm not
>>> sure about Qt/KDE).
>>>

>> Oh .. indeed GTK++ and Qt are LGPL, but one of our mentors
>> said in the early days of this list that those could be
>> considered part of the system, so we can side step them ...
>> for now.
>>
>> This was a subject I didn't want to bring in just yet, but
>> if it does happen that linking them is an issue, there are
>> replacements.
>>

> replacements? Really, what do you have in mind?

how about the venerable X Athena Widgets (Xaw)?

licensed under MIT X11, not contaminated with evil copyleft code, so it
should meet even the ASF's high licensing standards.

http://www.efalk.org/Widgets/Xaw.gif

i think there is even a 3D variant of it...

for a more modern look perhaps Motif could be considered, but
unfortunately there don't seem to be any permissively licensed variants
thereof (Lesstif is also contaminated with that eeevil copyleft stuff, and
"OpenMotif" isn't even open source!).

SCNR,
 michael