incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Shutting down legacy OOo mailing lists
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2011 22:18:54 GMT

On Oct 19, 2011, at 1:39 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> Shane Curcuru wrote:
>> Note that I disagree with having three lists; I would far prefer to
>> start with a single list per NL.
>
> No problem about this; I was merely envisioning a structure where we had an "announcements"
list (300 subscribers now) and two discussion lists, one for users (consolidating a few lists,
700 subscribers) and one for volunteers (consolidating the remaining ones). But it's not imperative
for me to start with 3 lists.

>> Actually, I'm pretty sure we will not be mass-subscribing users. That is
>> generally regarded as a very bad idea in Apache projects
>
> Here the fundamental issue is that we are transferring mailing lists (and consolidating
them in the process); the fact that we will create new lists instead of reconfiguring the
current server is merely a technical preference.

It is NOT merely a technical preference. Currently the ML are within Oracle hosted infrastructure.
Whatever ML are created or transferred will be run from within ASF hosted infrastructure.

> I'm against auto-subscribing people to new lists too in general, but I do not recognize
this case as "creation of new mailing lists": we would just be MOVING mailing lists, in accordance
with the old server maintainers, to give continuity to the project. And losing most of our
subscribers in the process due to (their!) sloppiness would be a huge setback for OpenOffice.org.

If there is a legal way to transfer all the subscribers of user@oo.o to ooo-users@i.a.o we
should consider it. I don't have the time to find this out, but if someone can navigate this
part I would support the effort.

Regards,
Dave