incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Migration: any plans to preserve mailing list archives?
Date Thu, 13 Oct 2011 02:03:24 GMT
Dennis,

On Oct 12, 2011, at 6:05 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> Shane,
>
> If you register on the openoffice.org site (recommended), and are logged in, you will
find something amazing at
> <http://openoffice.org/projects/www/lists>.
>
> Those are not all of the lists.  There are, in addition, 15 pages of Projects (146 total),

> <http://openoffice.org/projects>.  (Be logged in to view this too.)
>
> The Native Language (NL) projects appear to be here too.
>
> I believe that the static content has been captured.  Kay Schenk can report whether she
has captured them all.

Things are probably fully captured. Kay, Raphael and I have all checked in projects. The variation
in the html for each project is the next thing that I must tackle on branding/migration. The
checklist of projects including NL projects is the same. If someone cares to join me in Apache
CMS and python and other scripting then see http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/website-local.html

I'll be working on variations of view.pm and path.pm to provide the proper wrapping strategy
as indicated by the html in each project.

There are scripts in ooo-site/trunk/tools - See readme.txt for docs about the scripts. Kay
and I are debating URL rewriting which I do via sed.

> Nothing about the interactive aspects such as mailing lists and the community efforts
is being sustained or salvaged as far as I know.

It has been a question that has not been asked of Apache Infrastructure. This could use a
volunteer.

> There seem to be three aspects here:

Are you describing all of OOo or just the MX part in the following three points? I will assume
that is so.

> 1. These deserve pruning.  Our alternative, so far, has been to add two mailing lists
to ooo-* @i.a.o.

> 2. No one able to handle preparation, staging, and figuring out what to install and administer
to continue on Apache infrastructure has stepped forward at AOOo.  It is not clear who has
the keys to those operations.  When Terry Ellison was working to provide a migration of the
MediaWiki setup and the Forums services onto Apache Infrastructure, he reported that he had
no capacity to add this under his wing.  No one else with knowledge of this kind of service
has been identified.

In recent discussions Martin Hollmichel apparently has some foo with the Mailing Lists. I'm
not sure if it the correct foo, or simple Admin. I wonder if Andrew has any insight into this.

> 3. It would be great if there were some energetic body, similar to the Forums squad,
that could step in and find a way to embrace and sustain what is still important as part of
the OpenOffice.org ecosystem.

In a related area there are upwards of 460,000 individuals subscribed as OpenOffice.org users.
It is is unclear what we can take - this may fall under tight German privacy laws. Do we care
to preserve this User Database?