incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Migration Status Page
Date Mon, 24 Oct 2011 23:32:23 GMT

On Oct 24, 2011, at 4:08 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 6:59 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

>>> BZ was done enough for Dennis to send out an announcement to the users
>>> list on Sept 3rd.   We're using it now.  Could it be prettier?  Sure.
>>> But it has been migrated and the new instance is being used and the
>>> old one is not.  Something doesn't become unmigrated just because it
>>> could use more help pages.
>>>
>>> So for a high level status I think this is fine. It points users in
>>> the right direction.  If we fill it up with buts and caveats and
>>> exceptions, then it will not serve its purpose as a high level
>>> overview.
>>
>> I think that the migration status page is great and serves its purpose well.
>>
>> I was arguing for further and separate considerations and indicating that Dennis's
BZ concerns belong in one of those post-migration steps.

>> 2) Administration - making sure we have people who can do admin tasks (like David
McKay aka "The Gurka")

>> We should have a page on the wiki for this information.
>>
>> 3) Integration - this speaks to issues that cross over between different infrastructure
components. Due to the nature of the migration stuff comes out unevenly. The lead up forms
on www.openoffice.org to the bugzilla are an example.

>> BZ is fine for these, but either Wiki should be good as well.
>>

> Good points.  We do have this page:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Bugtracking+migration
>
> We could track follow up items related to BZ there.....but I wonder if
> they will get lost, compared to tracking them in BZ itself.
>
> Integration points become easier once we have wiki and website live at
> Apache.  Any committer can edit/update the website at that point.
>
> Maybe we can run a spidering link checker on the entire openoffice.org
> website at that point to get a report of broken links?  That should
> point out lingering integration errors, but will also report many
> unrelated issues, presumably.  We could also look for 404 errors in
> the openoffice.org Apache logs,  to see any common incoming links that
> are wrong.  Ideally we'd handle those with redirects.

Good idea. I don't think it need be that complicated. I'm handling HREF rewriting while doing
the wrapping of the pages. It would not be hard to automate the extraction of all internal
urls and then run curl or wget against each one as a check.

Regards,
Dave

>> 4) Branding and Terms of Use - probably these are separate from Integration issues.
This is more about whether or not the PPMC has properly cleared with Apache trademarks and
legal. Really a post migration step.>
>> Regards,
>> Dave
>>

>>> -Rob

information on OO.o that will need to be cleaned up still.

be used like this:

explicit decision by
if there is no

There is a