incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Shutting down legacy OOo mailing lists
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2011 18:53:36 GMT
Hi Rob,

Your technical item was an interesting distraction. It may have a use. I think below you give
a good explanation of your plan.

Let me express a recommendation that ought to alleviate my concerns about the full MX issues.

I am still concerned that we may be abandoning a database of over 450,000 OOo users, but that
is another, related, topic.

On Oct 20, 2011, at 10:24 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 1:14 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>> Rob,
>>
>> As were you, I was looking at the value of the ezmlm confirmation e-mail and
>> its opt-in requirement for moderator-initiated subscriptions.  It seemed to me
>> that would provide a clean opt-in point for users of lists about to be
>> retired.
>>
>> The process for the moderator-initiated subscription needs to know
>> subscription e-mail addresses for the current members of the to-be-retired
>> list.    It depends, of course, on a moderator having the subscriber e-mail
>> addresses, and I did not indicate how that could be solved any more than your
>> experiment did.
>>

> So you are recommending that we send an unsolicited opt-in message to
> all list subscribers, including the spammers that have taken over many
> of the lists?
>
> Work it through and see what the savings in effort really is for the user:
>
> 1) They still need to read two emails:  One that tells them to expect
> an opt-in email and then the actual opt-in notice.  If we don't do the
> first one then the 2nd note will scare many of them, since it appears
> to come unsolicited.
>
> 2) Whatever we do, they still need to respond to the opt-in email
>
> 3) The net savings in effort is that the user does not not need to
> click an initial mailto: link to generate the confirmation email.  So
> in order to save the user a single click, we're going to risk going
> against data protection laws as well as sending an invite to spammers
> to join our list?

Got it. One email - repeated.

If the text around the mailto: informs the user not to use an @openoffice.org address for
their new subscription then my concerns are moot. It should be something like "All personal
@openoffice.org email address forwarders will be dropped on migration."

The text of this email needs to be carefully considered on ooo-dev. Since you plan a review
then I am fine.

I also think that the one (or more) OOo legacy ML that are being continued should be clearly
mentioned as well.

Look at this email as the one opportunity to get a clear message about AOOo out to all of
these subscribers. We have a difficult story for the user and it needs to be the most positive
and consistent message possible.

> This makes zero sense for me.  If you want to do it, then please
> volunteer.  But as an employee of a large multinational corporation
> that does care about data protection laws, I will not be involved in
> any such approach.

I am looking at this as due diligence before making a decision where there is no going back.

Regards,
Dave