incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Shutting down legacy OOo mailing lists
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2011 18:53:36 GMT
Hi Rob,

Your technical item was an interesting distraction. It may have a use. I think below you give
a good explanation of your plan.

Let me express a recommendation that ought to alleviate my concerns about the full MX issues.

I am still concerned that we may be abandoning a database of over 450,000 OOo users, but that
is another, related, topic.

On Oct 20, 2011, at 10:24 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 1:14 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <> wrote:
>> Rob,
>> As were you, I was looking at the value of the ezmlm confirmation e-mail and
>> its opt-in requirement for moderator-initiated subscriptions.  It seemed to me
>> that would provide a clean opt-in point for users of lists about to be
>> retired.
>> The process for the moderator-initiated subscription needs to know
>> subscription e-mail addresses for the current members of the to-be-retired
>> list.    It depends, of course, on a moderator having the subscriber e-mail
>> addresses, and I did not indicate how that could be solved any more than your
>> experiment did.
> So you are recommending that we send an unsolicited opt-in message to
> all list subscribers, including the spammers that have taken over many
> of the lists?
> Work it through and see what the savings in effort really is for the user:
> 1) They still need to read two emails:  One that tells them to expect
> an opt-in email and then the actual opt-in notice.  If we don't do the
> first one then the 2nd note will scare many of them, since it appears
> to come unsolicited.
> 2) Whatever we do, they still need to respond to the opt-in email
> 3) The net savings in effort is that the user does not not need to
> click an initial mailto: link to generate the confirmation email.  So
> in order to save the user a single click, we're going to risk going
> against data protection laws as well as sending an invite to spammers
> to join our list?

Got it. One email - repeated.

If the text around the mailto: informs the user not to use an address for
their new subscription then my concerns are moot. It should be something like "All personal email address forwarders will be dropped on migration."

The text of this email needs to be carefully considered on ooo-dev. Since you plan a review
then I am fine.

I also think that the one (or more) OOo legacy ML that are being continued should be clearly
mentioned as well.

Look at this email as the one opportunity to get a clear message about AOOo out to all of
these subscribers. We have a difficult story for the user and it needs to be the most positive
and consistent message possible.

> This makes zero sense for me.  If you want to do it, then please
> volunteer.  But as an employee of a large multinational corporation
> that does care about data protection laws, I will not be involved in
> any such approach.

I am looking at this as due diligence before making a decision where there is no going back.

View raw message