incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Making donations to the project
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2011 17:21:52 GMT
On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 12:34 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> I thought that the previous discussion (on this list, not just ooo-users)
> arrived
> at the following:
>
>  1. ASF does not accept donations that have strings on how the funds are used.

I've seen this expressed generally stated as "ASF does not...".  I
have not seen it stated as "ASF may not...".

In fact if you dig around, you find that the ASF Board did approve a
resolution that allows targeted donations:

"WHEREAS, the Apache Software Foundation is a support
      organization for open-source software development projects; and

      WHEREAS, donations of funds, services, or goods to the
      Foundation may be made with the desire on the part of the donor
      that the said funds, services, or goods should be utilized to
      directly support one or more particular projects or purposes;

      NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that the Apache Software
      Foundation shall accept such targeted donations; and be it
      further

      RESOLVED, that the acceptance of a targeted donation does not
      constitute a commitment by the Foundation to any more than a
      best effort in good faith to apply the donation as requested;
      and be it further

      RESOLVED, that the Foundation will not disburse funds for use by
      a Project Management Committee until that Project Management
      Committee has developed a budget indicating how those funds will be
      used and that budget has been approved by the Board of Directors;
      and be it further

      RESOLVED, that the Treasurer shall include the intended purpose
      of any such targeted donations as part of his reports, making
      the intended purpose of the donation a matter of public record;
      and be it further

      RESOLVED, that such targeted donations shall be applied to the
      Foundation's general operating fund or resource pool for
      allocation, disbursement, or assignment as the Foundation may
      see fit, bearing in mind the donor's intention and the needs of
      the Foundation and its projects."

See:  http://www.apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/1999/board_minutes_1999_09_22.txt

So not a legally binding commitment to use contributions as directed
by the donor, but a "best effort in good faith" to use them per the
donor's stated intent.

Was this Board resolution -- admittedly quite old -- ever rescinded?

If not, is there any reason why we could not do something along these
lines, e.g., request targeted donations, develop a budget, get it
approved by the Board, etc.?

I realize that this might be far different than what other projects do
today.  But it appears to be a possibility that ASF considered, and
enabled, in previous discussions.

-Rob

-Rob