incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] development for the first AOO release
Date Wed, 26 Oct 2011 23:30:24 GMT
On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 7:13 PM, Andrea Pescetti
<pescetti@openoffice.org> wrote:
> On 24/10/2011 Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 9:18 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
>> <orwittmann@googlemail.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> - "IP cleared" milestone ...
>>> This milestone would result in an OpenOffice.org missing a lot of
>>> important
>>> features, but this milestone would be the basis regarding Apache's IP
>>> rules.
>>> This milestone could be released according to the Apache rules.
>>
>> "Could" be released.  We can debate whether we would actually release
>> this.
>
> Right, if the first Apache release is missing important features that used
> to be in OpenOffice.org 3.3 then it could be detrimental to the project.
>
> OpenOffice.org users are waiting for updates, and whatever you explain, they
> will download and install the first Apache version and judge from what they
> see. Ideally, they should be given a bugfixed 3.4-beta under LGPL3 that
> would show the nice improvements done after OOo 3.3, but we have already
> discussed this in other threads. If, on the contrary, the first release is
> missing important functionality, it could easily backfire and it's better
> not to expose users to it.

Exactly. I think of it more as a "milestone build".  It would be
qualified for Apache release, based on it IP review, but won't release
it.  We'll want to do more work on it first.  We're just saying that
on the road to 3.4, we'll first have a milestone build that is clean
from the IP review perspective, then work on restoring features needed
for release.