incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Migration of Forums Recruitment of Operators
Date Sun, 23 Oct 2011 12:47:53 GMT
On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 11:32 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> These are my personal observations and I will report them to the Forum Administrators
also.  Any of the Forum operators can chime in here.

> There is not a formal vote that I can see.  There was a poll that ended up 63% in favor,
37% opposed on the English Language forums, and I understand that there were wild variances
on some of the other NL forums, including nobody in favor in one case.

> The reality seems to be that the move is accepted as happening.  It comes down to knowing
what Forum operators will stick around, which ones will declare themselves interested in the
iCLA -> committer -> PPMC progression, etc.

The move either happens or it doesn't.  We can't migrate it 63%. Is it
worth making the plan explicit, e.g:

We're going to migrate the lists now, since the Oracle servers are
going down on Friday. All existing moderators/admins are welcome to
continue participation.  Those who chose not to continue will be
replaced immediately after the move per the Forum's existing
mechanisms for choosing admins and moderators.

> I doubt that the picture will be completely clear until the move is accomplished and
folks can raise their heads after the current emergency.

Well, one reason it is an emergency is we wasted almost a week in an
unnecessary show vote that ultimately brought no additional clarity.
Let's hope there is still time to make a clean transition and avoid
outage for the users.

> Meanwhile, I have asked the Forum Operators to please identify who is raising their hands
to take the Apache plunge.  I've also asked *them* who on the PPMC is already known there
that could be useful as Apache Observers (if not already among the Forum operators).  This
would be to serve as consultants to them and especially help communicate/build-bridges/support
with the Native Language forums and those operators, I think.

> It might be good to find out who here on the PPMC has interest in being Apache Observers:
Forum registrants who have access to the administrative sections and can also post there,
but not take administrative actions.  (This is separate from current PPMC members who are
already among the Forum Operators and have whatever privileges come with that.)

> This would relax the need for them to rush everything through at once while having someone
"on site" to observe the Forums and their orderly operation.  This could satisfy the PPMC
that there is adequate oversight in these early days, even if only on an interim/transitional
basis.

My main concern is that we don't have any forum that has no one there
helping users, removing spam, etc.  When will we know if that is the
case?