incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [@ Rob Weir] Re: Need moderators for ooo-marketing list
Date Sun, 16 Oct 2011 20:57:30 GMT
On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 4:44 PM, Paul <paul.m.nz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 9:40 AM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

>> well.
>> >
>> > So far moderating ooo-users hasn't been burdensome, so I'd be happy to
>> volunteer to moderate this one too. As for timezone, I am mostly in the UK
>> or elsewhere in europe.
>> >

>> Great.  As you can attest, moderating a list is very easy.  You just
>> need to be able to tell spam from a real post, click a link for accept
>> or or another link to reject.  The moderators for a list might do this
>> 2-3 times in a day, based on how many emails we receive from
>> non-subscribers.  It does not require any technical/admin skills.
>> Anyone can do it.  Ideally we will have good time zone coverage, so
>> posts are not delayed more than necessary.
>>
>> > S.
>>

> Rob,
> You seem to be the man in the know... I was (till very recently) the
> moderator and owner of email list users@openoffice.org (amongst others)
> hosted on the Kenai platform. Can you advise when this will be fully
> switched over to apache platform? Emails for moderation are still flowing
> through (typically ~80-120 per day (for users@).

Hi Paul -- There was a thread on this a few days ago:

http://markmail.org/message/3owf4stkkbqeltz2

So we have several options, each with their own tradeoff's.  In the
previous discussion option #3 looked attractive.  What do you think?

The  80-120 moderation requests you are seeing -- are these from list
subscribers who are sending spam?  Or non-list subscribers?  What % of
your moderation posts are legit?  We use SpamAssasin on the Apache
lists, so we might get different results.

-Rob