incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Can we close the old mercury servers?
Date Fri, 14 Oct 2011 15:49:11 GMT
On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 11:26 AM, Ross Gardler
<rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:
> One of the comments on the Foundation blog is:
>
> "Unless I'm mistaken, nothing has happened in the last 6 months:
> http://hg.services.openoffice.org/DEV300"
>
> It is perfectly understandable why someone would make this mistake.
>
> Can we please do something about the old Mercury servers.

I think we should be redirecting common legacy URLs to their new
counterpoints rather than simply closing or deleting things.
Otherwise someone, like the commenter, will not just think the code
has not been touched in 6 months.  They will think that the code is
unavailable entirely.  The issue is external links into the project,
including links from the Google search index.  You deal with that with
HTTP redirection.

-Rob