incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Review of OpenOffice.org Forums Agreement
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2011 22:07:05 GMT
On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 5:56 PM, Ross Gardler
<rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:
> On 11 October 2011 22:05, Daniel Shahaf <d.s@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
>> Rob Weir wrote on Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 15:13:31 -0400:
>>> To enable list-based discussion of the proposal, I'm pasting in the
>>> current wiki markup.  This will allow anyone to enter inline
>>> commentary, as a response, to the quoted original.
>>>

>> Thanks!
>>
>>> *H.* Should the ASF or the Apache OpenOffice.org project decide to
>>> terminate its support of the forums, it will grant a period of at
>>> least 90 days for the transfer of the contents and structure of the
>>> forums to another host as decided by the Administrators, Moderators
>>> and Volunteers.
>>
>> The PPMC is not empowered to agree to a clause that reads, "The ASF will
>> grant 90 days to someone".  Only the board and officers can make
>> commitments on behalf of the org.
>
> Whilst this is technically correct in practice the board delegates to
> its PMCs (that's the IPMC while in the incubator and the AOOo PMC
> after graduation). I'm not aware of a project entering into such an
> agreement before so there is no precedent that I'm aware of.
>
> The right thing to do in this case is define the agreement you would
> like to make and have it approved by the legal PMC. If legal@ are
> happy then the AOOo project can proceed, if not they will recommend a
> course of action.

Legal?  That  sounds like extreme overkill.  We're not making a
contract with an external organization.  We're making an agreement
with ourselves.  This is a governance question, not a legal one.

In any case, the right way to handle this is just to take out the
mention of "ASF".  If indeed the PPMC has delegated authority, then it
is sufficient to just mention the PPMC.