incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Shutting down legacy OOo mailing lists
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2011 18:12:59 GMT
On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 1:55 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> I did not assert anything about how the auto-subscription offer is done.  I did note
that the lists may already be in the custody of a US-hosted system, so transnational border
crossing is not involved in any movement of subscribers.  Since this is an opt-in, not an
opt-out procedure, it might be considered that the benefit far outweighs the harm.  Of course,
this is all speculative because there is likely not time to do any of these things.

It still comes down to saving a single mouse click, while also gaining
more spammers.   So the argument is not very persuasive, IMHO.

> My thinking is that the current moderators be the ones best able to determine which subscribers
are "real."  Also, the current moderators, if they can be found, are appropriate folks for
notifying the lists they moderate of the imminent retirement, the opportunity to subscribe
to ooo-listX@ i.a.o, and of the plan to offer them an opt-in message for subscription to ooo-listX.
 Also for translating ezmlm messages into the native language that is the working language
of a particular list.

Volunteers are welcome, to translate and send out the notice to the
various lists.  This includes legacy list moderators.  There will be a
place on the wiki page for anyone to affix their name. I'll send out a
note for any lists that receive no other volunteers.

There is a "moderator" list at OOo.  I can send them a note at the
same time I notify the PPMC that I have the initial migration list
ready for review.  That way any existing moderators can jump in if
they want.

> There are problems when moderators have absented themselves.  Regina just posted a message
on ooo-dev looking for a moderator of users@ de.openoffice.org to solve a problem with an
user who can't find a way to unsubscribe and whose efforts at following the various instructions
have failed.  So there is a problem with moderator abandonment.  It is clear that there
are any number of folks still on that list who could moderate it, if there was a way to grant
moderation.

> Maybe that is something Andrew Rist can help with.

As you know, users will always have problems with mailing lists.  This
will be true on Apache lists as well.   I think one thing we'll want
to do is cross-promote the user forums in the initial post, at least
the post to the user forums.

> With regard to pulling the plug, I am not sure how it is possible to even warn folks
of this, unless material can be put in known web locations that informs list users of the
possible sudden retirement of the lists they subscribe to.  Again, our not having the keys
to openoffice.org properties is a barrier.  It might fall on us bloggers to have a joint
message that is propagated as far as our reach allows, including the podling blog.

Why do you think sending notes to the lists themselves would be
inadequate?  Isn't that the most direct and logical way to engage with
a list subscriber?  The number of list subscribers that also read the
project blog is probably miniscule.  And those would be the ones that
are already more engaged and know what is going on.  But you are
welcome to do a blog post on this if you want.

-Rob